The May 5th BridgeWalk set a new record of 205.5 people and 2 dogs on the bridge. The .5 was a “happy hobo” who walked from North to South in the course of his normal days’ activity so I claim the half for our statistics
A total of 27 runners and 41 walkers opted to participate in the Pendgo Timing trial run and their times varied from 27:55 for the first runner to reach the finish line to 01:15:01 for the last recorded walker. My own time, inclusive of hanging around at the top of the bridge to take photographs of the walkers (see YouTube for the video) and collecting all the signs on the route back was 01:25. The complete list of times for the 68 timed participants can be downloaded HERE.
This month we are partnering with Pendgo Timing to trial a timed walk. The BridgeWalk is 6020 yards or 5.5km. Pendgo Timing will provide the first 100 walkers with a microchipped bib which will automatically calculate your time (and adjust it to 5km equivalent)
It’s just a bit of fun for Cinco de Mayo but it will also serve to show us how a timed BridgeWalk event might work. The thought is that we might do an annual timed walk, which would command an entry fee, with proceeds going to a good cause. The advantage of working with Pendgo Timing is that we would be able to arrange the closure of one traffic lane on the bridge for our participants to use and that sounds like fun to me!
Watch this space for details.
May 5th Event Details:
LOCATION: The Galvan House, 1581 Heritage Park:
- The BridgeWalk will commence at 7:30am for the summer season. Please note we will endeavour to start the walk at 7:30am prompt.
Fitness Sunday List of Events:
- 7:30am – 8:45am Bridge walk / run
- 8:30am Yoga class by Youga Yoga
- 8:30 – 10am Toe Joint Excercise Program by Dr Murad
- 8:45 – 9:30am Tai Chi by Taoist Tai Chi Society of the USA
- 9:00 to 9:45am Zumba by Z-Live
- 9:30am Yoga class by Youga Yoga
- 10 – 10:20am Capoeira by Corpus Christi Brazilian Capoeira)
- 10 -4pm Art in the Park by Creative Connections. This free monthly art event initiated to promote the creative community on the first weekend of every month, ART in the PARK celebrates the lingering season of Spring on May 4th - 5th from 10am – 4pm. Live musical entertainment ranging from rock to reggae, folk to blues, country to gospel, appealing to all audiences will be created by R & R from 10:30 – Noon and Spark in the Dark from 1pm – 3pm on Sunday May 5th; so come out to Heritage Park and enjoy the tunes of these favorite community duos.
ART in the PARK KidZone, for those 12 and under, will focus on free make and take art activities such as making Tie Dye butterflies, creating hand-built Sculptures, and learning Mexican metal tooling by creating Milagros in recognition of Cinco de Mayo.
Here is a link to the BridgeWalk YouTube channel where photographs of the April walk have been uploaded as a slideshow/video.
BridgeWalk YouTube Channel